Yesterday I watched this video and was pretty floored by it on so many levels:
DHH, the creator of the Ruby on Rails web framework and known bigot, gave a keynote speech at the 2026 Rails World Conference where he’s in full on AI Psychosis mode. He barely talks about Rails, says the company he co-owns has moved all native apps and back-ends to Rust, how he’s retired from hand-written code, his nepotism-funding fascist arch linux config, and then ends by bullying everyone who chooses to not use AI by calling them losers.
Hard to imagine a stranger and crueler keynote speech. Imagine paying money to go to this conference and the keynote being this. Woof.
DHH goes to extensive lengths to talk about how horrible Rust
is as a programming language, saying it’s awful to read and write by hand. And he only uses it because he doesn’t have to do either of them now with LLM coding agents doing all of his coding. I couldn’t disagree more… Rust is very clear and straightforward to read. Kind of a weird argument/dis.
I started using Ruby on Rails in 2011 because of a job apprenticeship I took. DHH has always been an outspoken dingbat, so this wasn’t surprising. What is surprising is how he continues to be platformed in various places and ways. I am hoping this fuels the continued efforts to fork Rails and have a community-maintained version free of DHH.
Having been on the receiving end of a bunch of code written by the latest models, they continue to write buggy, strange, dangerous code. I just simply don’t buy what he’s selling here. At the rate the code is spat out, I am doubtful any human is reviewing it. It’s honestly scary to me to imagine using software by his company or an operating system that’s so largely vibe coded. The security risks really worry me there.
Some more info about why DHH is problematic:
- The DHH Problem (talk from 2014)
- The DHH Problem by @davidcelis
- https://stopomarchy.org/ - clear and concise resistance effort against DHH’s Omarchy operating system